About the Centennial
The School of Forestry at The University of Montana was officially established on March 21, 1913, when the state legislature of Montana authorized its creation and allocated $6,000 for salaries and supplies. The university had started offering courses for Forest Service rangers in 1909 in response to the creation of the US Forest Service in 1905 and the need for a formal forestry education program in Montana. The school formally opened on September 8, 1914, with 25 students. Throughout the 1920s and '30s the School of Forestry grew and trained the bulk of the Forest Service's rangers and other positions. A master's degree in Forestry was added in 1946 and PhD in 1964. In 2003, the School of Forestry was renamed the College of Forestry and Conservation.
This information is from the publication 100 Year of Forestry at The University of Montana-Missoula 1913-2013, a history written by Archives Specialist Carlie Magill at the Mansfield Library at The University of Montana.
Also view an online exhibit of historical materials from the College — see publications, Ball tickets, and other memorabilia up close here.