Accessible Navigation. Go to: Navigation Main Content Footer
Find us on facebook Watch the College of Forestry and Conservation's You Tube channel View the College of Forestry and Conservation's photos on Flickr

Helpful information for new graduate students

Through innovative teaching, research, and service, the College of Forestry and Conservation (CFC) empowers society and its future leaders to better understand and more effectively conserve, restore, and sustain complex social-ecological systems in the Rocky Mountains and beyond.

This information is to help students that have been accepted into our graduate program.  Here are a few key points of interest:

Structure of the College of Forestry and Conservation (CFC)

The CFC is divided into the following departments:

  • Forest Management (FM)
  • Department of Ecosystem Conservation Sciences (DECS)
  • Society and Conservation (SoCon)

Each faculty member is associated with one of these departments.  As a graduate student, you are associated with the department to which your committee chair belongs.  A listing of all faculty members and their associated departments can be found here.

Department Administrative Associates

Each department has its own administrative associate.  You can contact them for travel, room assignments and reservations, mailboxes, key requests, and to reserve laptops, projectors, conference phones, laser pointers and CFC fleet vehicles.  Please start with your administrative associate for any of your needs.

  • FM - Marie Rothell - CHCB 401; 243-5529;
  • DECS - This position is currently open.  We are working on filling it within the semester.  If you are a DECS student, please see Marie for travel, Devi for office space and Jeanne for all CFC fleet vehicle reservations.
  • SoCon - Jennifer Zdziebko - CHCB 412; 243-6657;

The Wildlife Biology degree program has its own Administrative Associate and any students in this program should contact her regardless of the department their committee chair is associated with.

Course Requirements and Deadlines

Shonna Trowbridge (FOR 112; 243-4844, and Wendy Maltonic (FOR 109; 243-6655; help students understand course requirements, committee appointments, deadlines and scholarships.  There is also a Graduate Student Handbook on the Graduate Studies Links menu of our Graduate Studies page under Academic Programs in the green menu bar (  Jeanne Franz fills the same role for Wildlife Biology students and there are Graduate Student Regulations on the WBIO website at

Office Space and Mailboxes

There are a number of office spaces available for graduate students located in different buildings and the College tries to provide office space for as many graduate students as possible.  The College Council makes the official decision on office space based on the student's need and availability.  Graduate students that are interested in office space should contact their department's Administrative Associate.

If your office space is located in the Clapp Building, your mailbox will be in the Clapp mail room.  If your office is located in the Forestry, Stone Hall or Bioresearch Buildings, your mailbox will be in the CFC Main Office.


If you need to get keys for rooms or buildings that are under the control of the CFC, please see your Administrative Associate.  Keys are $13 each plus a $5 non-refundable materials/labor fee.

Computer Accounts

All graduate students can have a computer account through the CFC (in addition to their UM account) and their information will be backed up.  You will need to go to the Main Office in the Forestry Building, room 109A, and fill out a computer account form.  Your account will be ready within 24 hours.  Each semester you will be allowed to print approximately 200 black and white pages.  If you don’t use them, you cannot add them to the quota for the following semester.  For additional printer credit, stop by the Forestry Main Office to add money to your account.

Also, you will want to be added to our group email account that we have for all graduate students within the College.  Email and tell them that you are a new graduate student and would like to be added to the “grads” email distribution list.  This is useful to be included in because there are important announcements, course updates, deadlines, and other information passed along to graduate students via this distribution list.

Field Equipment Check-out

The College has equipment that can be checked out for field work.  Some examples are:  loggers tape/D tape, compasses, clinometers, increment borers, relascopes, measuring tapes and more.  You can contact Marie Rothell, FM Administrative Associate in CHCB 401 (243-5529) for a complete list of available equipment and for check-out.

The College also has GPS units and digital cameras for use.  Please see the CFC IT Office lcated in FOR 202 for more information and check-out.

Accounting Information

Laurie Belcher (FOR 111; 243-6782; is the Director of Accounting and Fiscal Operations for the CFC and she has four other staff members working with her.  Each Accounting employee works with a specific department.

Graduate Contracts or Student Pay Information

If you are being provided a Research Assistantship through your major professor, then he/she will need to make sure the College of Forestry and Conservation’s Accounting Office has that information.  Once that information is relayed to them, they will be able to generate a graduate contract for you.  If you are being provided a Teaching Assistantship through the College, again the Accounting Office will be generating that contract for you.  If you are going to be paid from the College other than by a graduate contract, the Accounting Office will make sure the correct paperwork is completed including a hiring packet.  Look at the following link for out of pocket expenses.

Calendar of Events

We have events (such as seminars, deadlines, special events and more) posted on the CFC homepage.  Please check often for new updates.  You can also add this calendar as an RSS feed to your email inbox.  For help setting this up, please contact our IT Office at support@cfc.umt,edu.

To have your thesis defense posted on our calendar, please contact your Administrative Associate with the date, time and place.


RefWorks is a web-based citation management tool that can help you manage and streamline your research.  This software is useful for managing citations for your thesis or dissertation.  It can create your own database to keep track of articles, import citation information into your database, and automatically generate a bibliography.  RefWorks is available for free to UM students, faculty and staff.  For more information or to set up your account, please visit or stop by the Mansfield Library.