Accessible Navigation. Go to: Navigation Main Content Footer

Ph.D. Wildlife Biology

McCafferyThe Doctor of Philosophy requires the demonstration of distinguished scholarship in a dissertation based on original and creative work. It is not granted merely as a certificate of faithful performance of a prescribed program of studies and research. This degree is designed to provide an opportunity for students to receive specialized education in fish and wildlife ecology. It involves investigation and analysis of scientific, technical or managerial subjects.

Application Information

Application information can be found at the Graduate Student Admissions. However, if you have any questions or if we can help you at all, do not hesitate to contact our office for information (406) 243 5292 or by email at

Application Procedures
Advice to Applicants

Additional Information for International Prospective Students:
Applying for International Admission to the UM Graduate School
Foreign Student & Scholar Services
International Student Association (ISA) of The University of Montana
Residence Life Office - International Students

Degree Requirements

Degree Requirements

Financial Assistance

Teaching Assistantships: The Wildlife Biology Program has a number of teaching assistantships available each year. Graduate students in these positions assist faculty with course instruction through leading labs or discussion sections, delivering lectures and grading assignments. Teaching assistants are selected according to their background in courses for which teaching assistants are needed on a semester or yearly basis. Full-time teaching assistants work approximately 15 hours per week for 15 weeks each semester of the academic year. In addition to their salaries, teaching assistants receive a tuition fee waiver (in-state or out-of-state) and a waiver of the registration fee. Other fees charged by the University are not included in the TA fee waiver package. Both incoming and current graduate students are considered for teaching assistantships. Teaching assistants are required to register for 9 credits each semester.

Research Assistantships: Research assistantships are made available to graduate students by faculty members who have received grants from outside sources (for example, Forest Service, Park Service, Fish and Wildlife Service, National Science Foundation, other public and private organizations). The number of research assistantships offered varies by year depending on available funds. Research assistants are assigned duties by the faculty member with funding; these duties are often the student's own research project. Research assistantships have financial benefits generally similar to those of teaching assistantships. Research assistants are required to register for 9 credits each semester.

Other financial Assistance

Useful Links for Students:

Graduate Student Admissions
Graduate Student Policies
WBIO Graduate Regulations
Graduate School