Accessible Navigation. Go to: Navigation Main Content Footer
Find us on facebook Watch the College of Forestry and Conservation's You Tube channel View the College of Forestry and Conservation's photos on Flickr

Application Procedures

A completed application must include:

  • Graduate School Application and fee
  • Statement of Interest - This statement should outline the applicant's area of desired specialization and include the names of faculty members previously contacted regarding graduate study opportunities.
  • 3 Letters of Recommendation
  • Transcripts of all college work - Unofficial transcripts can be submitted for the application review process.  If you are accepted, you will then need to provide us with an official transcript showing all degrees received.  (If you are already enrolled in or have received your degree from UM you do not need to submit a transcript.)
  • Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores - The code for The University of Montana is R4489.  You must take the GRE by January 15 (for Fall applications) or August 15 (for Spring applications) to ensure we receive the scores by the deadline.  We cannot review an application without GRE scores.
  • Official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores if applicant’s native language is not English

The student is responsible for completion of the application file.  Please note that applications sent to us by FAX are not acceptable.  It typically takes 6 to 8 weeks from the date of your GRE or TOEFL examination for the scores to be reported.  Application files are checked periodically and the student is informed of any materials, which are lacking.  No action will be taken on any incomplete files.

Prospective graduate students should submit application materials to: for Statement of Interest and for unofficial transcripts. 

If you are accepted, you will need to submit offical transcripts.  If your university offers official electronic transcripts, those can be sent to  Any universities which do not yet offer official transcripts in an electronic version must send physical copies to:

College of Forestry and Conservation
Attn:  Grad Applications
The University of Montana
Missoula, MT 59812

Letters of Recommendation can be submitted electronically by entering the email addresses of your references into the online application.

We are attempting to go paperless with the application process, so anything that can be sent electronically would be greatly appreciated!

Additional Information about the College of Forestry and Conservation graduate degree programs can be found at following links:

Masters of Science in Forestry
Masters of Science in Recreation Management
Masters of Science in Resource Conservation
Masters of Science in Wildlife Biology
Master of Ecosystem Management
Graduate Studies in International Conservation and Development
PhD. in Forestry
PhD. in Fish and Wildlife Biology

Additional detail about University-wide graduate school costs and policies can be found at the UM Graduate School.