Accessible Navigation.
M.S. Resource Conservatiion

Application Procedures

To apply to a graduate program in the College of Forestry and Conservation, first find an area of study you're interested in pursuing and faculty members who have graduate study opportunities in that area.

To complete your application: 

  • Fill out UM Graduate School application and pay fee.
  • Write a Statement of Interest that outlines your desired area of study and includes the names of faculty members you've contacted regarding graduate study opportunities.
  • Include three letters of recommendation.
  • Provide transcripts of all college work.  Unofficial transcripts can be submitted for application review.  If you are accepted, you will then need to provide an official transcript showing all degrees received.  (If you are already enrolled in or have received a degree from UM you do not need to submit a transcript).
  • Send official GRE scores - the code for the University of Montana is R4489.  You must take the GRE by January 15 (for fall applications) or August 15 (for spring applications).  We cannot review an application without GRE scores.
  • Take official test of English as a Foreign Language (if English is not your first language).

Submit completed application to:

  • Submit your statement of interest by uploading it with your resume in the online application.
  • Send your unofficial transripts to us by email at
  • If you are accepted, you will need to submit official transcripts.  Those can be submittted electronically or mailed to the College of Forestry and Conservation, Attn: Grad Applications, University of Montana, Missoula MT 59812.
  • Letters of application can be submitted electronically by entering the email addresses of your references into UM's online application.
  • The College of Forestry and Conservation does not require a writing sample.

We do not accept applications by fax.  It typically takes six to eight weeks from the date of your GRE or TOEFL examination for the scores to be reported.  We will check your application file periodically and let you know if any files are missing.  We will not take action on incomplete application files.

Application deadlines

January 31 for admission that fall

August 31 for admission spring of the following calendar year

Admissions requirements

The College of Forestry and Conservation welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds who seek an intellectually challenging education.  All students must be familiar with the requirements and procedures established by the Graduate School for their particular graduate degree.  These requirements are available at the UM Graduate School.

Preliminary decisions regarding acceptance will be made using the following criteria:

  • Minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 for M.S. programs and 3.5 in graduate work for PhD programs and
  • Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores of 153 Verbal, 148 Quantitative, and 4.0 Analytical for tests taken after August 1, 2011
  • For GREs taken prior to August 1, 2011 the minimum scores are 500 Verbal, 600 Quantitative, and 4.0 Analytical
  • For applicants whose native language is not English, the minimum TOEFL score is 79 for internet-based tests, 215 for computer-based tests, and 550 for paper-based tests.

Applicants who do not meet these minimums may still be considered for provisional admission if other aspects of the application show more emphasis on professional experience and plans for graduate study than on grades and GRE scores.

Further evaluation is made of letters of recommendation and the applicant’s statement of specific interest.  The statement of interest is used to identify faculty members whose interests most closely match those of the applicant and should be approximately 2 pages in length.  We cannot accept graduate applicants without the approval of a faculty member who will serve as your main advisor professor.

Students must enroll in the semester stated in their acceptance letter or in the subsequent semester.  If you need to defer your admission, you can for to one year with approval from your major professor.  You then need to contact the Graduate School to complete deferrment paperwork.  If you don't have an approved deferral and don't start your degree work within your acceptance timeframe, you must reapply for admission.

Review the Graduate Handbook

Please review the Graduate Handbook for information on student supervision and degree requirements