Society of American Foresters
Management Science and Operations Research Working Group (E4)
The Management Science and Operations Research Working Group (E4) deals with the construction, validation, and implementation of planning, operations, strategic and tactical models to facilitate the management of forest resources at scales ranging from individual organisms to global. Major activities include sponsorship of a triennial, international Symposium on Systems Analysis in Forest Resources.
· Chair: Matthew Pelkki, University of Arkansas – Monticello, School of Forest Resources, Monticello, AR 71656. tel. (870) 460-1949, fax (870) 460-1092, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
· Chair-Elect: Ian Prior, FORSight Resources, LLC. tel. (207) 945-3302, email: email@example.com
· Operations Chair: Joseph P. Roise, North Carolina State Univ., Forestry Dept, 3114 Jordan Hall Box 8008, Raleigh, NC 27695. tel. (919) 515-7783, email firstname.lastname@example.org
· Communications Chair (web): Woodam Chung, University of Montana, College of Forestry and Conservation, Missoula, MT 59812-0576, email: email@example.com
NEW! 12th Symposium for Systems Analysis in Forest Resources
September 5-8, 2006
Burlington, Vermont, USA
Abstracts still being accepted until July 15, 2006!
Early registration deadline 1 July 2006.
The 2006 Symposium for System Analysis in Forest Resources (2006 SSAFR) will bring together scientists working in economics, operation research, management sciences, systems analysis, and information technology to make presentations and share the latest in research and application of advanced technologies in managing and problem solving in forest resources. The symposium will be the 12th SSAFR sponsored by the Society of American Foresters E4 Working Group (Management Sciences and Operations Research).
SYSTEMS ANALYSIS CONFERENCE SERIES
The 10th conference in our E4 working group series “Systems Analysis in Forest Resources” was held October 7th to 9th, 2003, at the Skamania Lodge in Stevenson, Washington, with the Pacific Northwest and Rocky Mountain Research Stations (Forest Service) acting as primary conference sponsors. Cosponsors included the E1 and E5 working groups of the Society of American Foresters and Oregon State University, with help contributed by the Western Forestry and Conservation Association and our IUFRO unit counterparts. Topics focused on optimization or simulation (management science, OR, or systems analysis) applied to problems in very diverse areas: spatial, landscape, and hierarchical analyses, land use planning, wildlife and biodiversity applications, fuels, fire & biomass applications, timber supply and regional economics, transportation problems, forest inventory applications, harvest scheduling, stand modeling and silviculture, decision support systems, and climate and carbon modeling, and forest sector modeling. Proceedings has been published as a Pacific Northwest Research Station General Technical Report.
Bevers, M.; Barrett, T. 2005. Systems Analysis in Forest Resources: Proceedings of the 2003 Symposium; October 7-9, Stevenson, WA. General Technical Report PNW-GTR-656. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 366 p.
Since 1975, the E4 working group has been active in organizing the conference series “Systems Analysis in Forest Resources”. Past conferences have been:
· Athens, Georgia (1975 and 1985)
· Asilomar, California (1988)
· Charleston, South Carolina (1991)
· Valdivia, Chile (1993)
· Asilomar, California (1994)
· Traverse City, Michigan (1997)
· Aspen, Colorado (2000)
· Punta de Tralca, Chile (2002)
· Stevenson, Washington (2003)
Several of the proceedings are available in electronic form (see below). For earlier proceedings, please contact the E4 working group chair, or check your local university library.
Proceedings of past SSAFR symposia
· 2003 Symposium on Systems Analysis in Forest Resources (2003 at Stevenson, Washington). The full proceedings are available as PDF files at http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/publications/gtr656/.
· 1997 Symposium on Systems Analysis in Forest Resources (1997 at Traverse City, Michigan). The 1997 proceedings are also available in hardcopy format as Proceedings of the 7th symposium on systems analysis in forest resources, Traverse City, MI, May 28-31, 1997 [Jeremy Fried, Larry Leefers, and Mike Vasievich, editors]. USDA For. Serv. NC-GTR-205. 470 p.
· 1994 Symposium on Systems Analysis in Forest Resources (1994 at Asilomar, California). The 1994 papers are available here as PDF files.
· 1991 Symposium on Systems Analysis in Forest Resources (1991 at Charleston, South Carolina). USDA Forest Service GTR-SE-74. http://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/pubs/924
· 1988 Symposium on Systems Analysis in Forest Resources (1988 at Pacific Grove, California). USDA GTR-RM-161. Printed copies can be ordered from http://www.fs.fed.us/rm/publications/lists_rm.shtml.
Programs and abstracts from SAF National Convention E4 Technical Sessions
(Abstracts are no longer collected, but papers in management science / OR are solicited for every national SAF convention; applications with general forestry audience appeal are very much appreciated. Tutorials/classes are also welcomed. Please contact the working group chair for more information.)
· 1999 (Portland, OR)
· 1998 (Traverse City, MI)
· 1997 (Memphis, TN)
· 1996 (Albuquerque, NM)
· 1995 (Portland, ME)