Below is a list of suggested reading for the International Seminar on Protected Area Management. Several of the references have links to web sites on which you can view the document. We recognize that many of you may not be able to find all or many of these documents, but we hope that this will provide a guide as to some of the resources available. If you have access to a library or if there is an IUCN office that you can access, many of these documents may be found there.
- Anderson, K. 2001. Case Study #1: Concessions Management in Glacier National Park's Backcountry Chalets. Wilderness Institute: Missoula, MT.
- Batisse, M. 2002. World heritage and biospherereserves: complementary instruments. Parks 11(1):38-43.
- Brandon, K.; K. Redford; S. Sanderson (eds.). 1998. Parks in Peril: People Politics and Protected Areas. Island Press, Washington, D.C. pp. 532.
- Brechin, S.; P. Wilschusen;C. Fortwangler; P. West 2002. Beyond the square wheel: toward a more comprehensive understanding of biodiversity conservation associal and political process. Society and Natural Resources 15:41± 64.
- Brechin, S.; P. Wilschusen; C. Fortwangler; P. West (forthcoming). Promoting International Biodiversity and Social Justice in the Twenty-First Century. State University of New York Press.
- Bruner, A.; R. Gullison; R. Rice; G. daFonseca. 2001. Effectiveness of parks in protecting tropical biodiversity. Science 291:125-128.
- Eagles, Paul F.J., Stephen F. McCool and Christopher D. Haynes. 2002. Sustainable Tourism in Protected Areas: Guidelines for Planning and Management. IUCNGland Switzerland and Cambridge, UK. 183 p.
- Hockings, Marc, Sue Stolton and Nigel Dudley. 2000. Evaluating effectiveness: aframework for assessing the management of protected areas. Gland : IUCN
- Ira, V. 2001. Social, economic and environmental dimensions of sustainable development in protected areas. Ecology 20 (Supplement 3):305-316.
- Lindberg, Kreg, Megan Epler-Wood and David Engeldrum. (eds.) 1998. Ecotourism: a guide for planners and managers. The Ecotourism Society: Bennington, VT.
- Mohan Munasinghe and Jeffrey McNeely (eds.) 1994. Protected area economics and policy linking conservation and sustainable development. Washington, D.C.: TheWorld Bank,
- Phillips, Adrian. 2002. World Commission on Protected Areas (WCPA) Management Guidelines for IUCN Category V Protected Areas; Protected Landscapes/Seascapes
- Terborgh, J. and C. van Schaik (eds.). 2002. Making Parks Work: Strategies for Preserving Tropical Nature. Island Press, Washington, D.C.
- West, P. and S. Brechin (eds.). 1991.Resident Peoples and National Parks. Univ. of Arizona Press, Tucson.
- Wilshusen, P.; S. Brechin; C. Fortwangler; and P. West. 2002. Reinventing a squarewheel: critique of a resurgent “protection paradigm” in international biodiversity conservation. Society and Natural Resources 15:17-40.
- Worboys, Graeme, Michael Lockwood and Terence De Lacy 2001. Protected Area Management: Principles and Practice. Oxford University Press.