- Office: Stone Hall 205
- Phone: (406) 203-2290
- Fax: (406) 243-4840
- Email: email@example.com
On sabbatical assignment leave during 2015/2016. Please contact via email.
- Ph.D., Technische Universität Berlin, Germany, 1999
- Geography with Emphasis in Geomorphology (summa cum laude/with highest honors)
- Thesis: Late Quaternary Geomorphology and Glaciation in the Eastern Hindu Kush, Chitral, Northern Pakistan
- M.S., Freie Universität Berlin, Germany, 1992
- Geography (major), Emphases in Geomorphology, Arid Environments, and International Development Studies
- Geology (minor), Emphasis in Remote Sensing
- Biology (minor), Emphasis in Ecotoxicology
- Thesis: Geomorphology and Geochemistry, Basta Joint Archaeological Project, Southern Jordan
- ERTH 303N - Weather and Climate
- GPHY 111N - Introduction to Physical Geography
- GPHY 112N - Introduction to Physical Geography Laboratory
- GPHY 191X - Green Cities for the 21st Century (Global Leadership Initiative, GLI)
- GPHY 314 - Global Mountain Environments
- GPHY 317 - Geomorphology
- GPHY 385 - Field Techniques
- GPHY 421 - Sustainable Cities
- GPHY 504 - Geographical Research
- GPHY 505 - Research Design
- GPHY 550 - Seminar in Mountain Research
DePaul University, Chicago, 2002-2005
- ENV 200 – Cities and the Environment
- ENV 202 – Resources, Population, and the Environment
- ENV 216 – Earth System Science
- ENV 230 – Global Climate Change
- GEO 210 – Environmental Conservation
- GEO 225 – Weather and Climate
- GEO 243 – Remote Sensing
- GEO 395 – Landforms and Landscapes
Technische Universität Berlin, Germany, 1995-2000
- Aerial Photography
- Field Course: Regional Geography of Berlin and Brandenburg
- Field Course: Environmental Studies in Low Mountains
- Field Course: Natural and Cultural Landscapes in Brandenburg
- Geographical Methods in Regional Studies
- Methods in Physical Geography: Introduction to Field Work
- The Physical Environment in Regional Geography
Alpine Cryosphere, Climate and Environmental Change, Geoarcheology, Geographical Information Technology (GIT), Geomorphology, Human-Environment Interactions, Landscape Ecology, Mountain Geography, Natural Hazards and Risks, Quaternary Glaciations, Remote Sensing, River Habitat Assessment, Urban Sustainability.
Field of Study
Cryosphere, Environmental Change, Geomorphology, GIS/Remote Sensing, Mountain Geography, Natural Hazards.
Global Land Ice Measurements from Space (GLIMS)
- Co-Director of the Regional Center for Mongolia together with National University of Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar
- Steward for the Regional Center for Southwestern Asia (Afghanistan, Pakistan) at University of Nebraska – Omaha
- Steward for the Regional Center for South Asia (Bhutan, India, Nepal) at ICIMOD in Kathmandu
Cryosphere, Environmental Change, Geomorphology, Mountain Geography, Natural Hazards, Remote Sensing.
- 2015-2017. Secretary and Treasurer of the Mountain Geography Specialty Group (MGSG) of the American Association of Geographers (AAG).
- Since 2014. Editorial Board Member of "Geomatics, Natural Hazards and Risk" by Taylor & Francis.
Academic Positions and Fellowships
- 2010-2011, 2012. Institute for Space Sciences and Institute of Geographical Sciences, Freie Universität Berlin, Germany. Experienced Research Fellow of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany. Field of Study: Glacier Monitoring.
- 2010. Institute of Geography, National University of Mongolia. Research Fellow of the American Center for Mongolian Studies. Field of Study: Glacier Monitoring.
- 2002-2005. Department of Geography and Environmental Sciences Program, DePaul University, Chicago, U.S.A. Assistant Professor. Field of Study: Quaternary Glacial Geomorphology and Glacier Monitoring; Teaching: Physical Geography and Environmental Sciences.
- 2001-2002. Department of Geography and Geology, University of Nebraska - Omaha, U.S.A. Postdoctoral Research Fellow of the Max Kade Foundation, U.S.A. Field of Study: Glacier Monitoring.
- 1995-2000. Institute of Geography, Technische Universität Berlin, Germany. Junior Lecturer. Field of Study: Quaternary Glacial Geomorphology; Teaching: Physical, Human and Regional Geography.
- 1994-1995. Institute for Space Sciences, Freie Universität Berlin, Germany. Junior Scientist. Field of Study: Water Quality of Urban Streams and Lakes Using Airborne Remote Sensing.
- 1994. Institute of Near Eastern Archaeology, Freie Universität Berlin, Germany. Adjunct Junior Scientist. Field of Study: Geoarcheology.
Consultancy in Environmental Assessment
- 2015-2016. Stream Flow Formation in the Sapta Koshi Basin, Nepal: Glaciers, Snowmelt and Rainfall as Components of Basin Runoff. GIT Expert. Funded by The World Bank.
- 2013-2014. Assessing the Role of Glaciers in Stream Flow from the Pamir and Tien Shan Mountains. GIT Expert. Funded by The World Bank.
- 2011-2012. Hindu Kush-Himalaya-Karakoram (HKH) Glacier Monitoring Project. GIT Expert. Funded by The World Bank.
- 1999-2001. River Habitat Assessment in Berlin. Project Leader, Informus Inc., Berlin. Funded by the State Office for Urban Development, Environment Protection, and Technology, Federal State of Berlin, Germany.
- 1999-2000. River Habitat Assessment in Brandenburg. - Funded by the State Office for the Environment, Federal State of Brandenburg, Germany. Project Leader, Informus Inc., Berlin.
Consultancy in Urban and Regional Planning
- 1992-1994. Central Places in the High Fläming. - Funded by the Federal Ministry for Regional Planning, Building and Urban Development, Germany. Project Team Member, Office for Regional Planning and Development Inc., Berlin.
- 1992-1994. Model Project Wiesenburg/Fläming. - Funded by the Federal Ministry for Regional Planning, Building and Urban Development, Germany. Project Team Member, Office for Regional Planning and Development Inc., Berlin.
- Academic positions and fellowships in Germany, Mongolia, and the U.S.
- Research field campaigns in Algeria, India, Jordan, Lesotho, Mongolia, Pakistan, Peru, South Africa, and Venezuela.
Honors / Awards
- Fellow, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany; 08/2010-07/2011; 06-08/2012
- Fellow, American Center for Mongolian Studies, U.S.A.; 7/2010
- Fellow, Max Kade Foundation, U.S.A; 02/2001-08/2002
- Kamp, U. (2017): Glaciations. In: Richardson D., N Castree, M.M. Goodchild, A. Kobayashi, W. Liu, R.A. Marston (Eds.), The International Encyclopedia of Geography, John Wiley & Sons.
- Khan, M.A., S.F. Khan, U. Kamp & L.A. Owen (2016): Landslides associated with earthquakes in Pakistan. In: Singh, R. (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Natural Hazards, Taylor & Francis, New York.