Providing Technical Assistance
The AFMP seeks to build vegetation management capacity at the agency and organizational level through place-based technical assistance. We specialize in methodical silvicultural planning and prescription development, with emphasis on impairment diagnostics, forest condition and threats assessment, and forest restoration and reforestation treatments. Recent and current clients and projects include the following:
- MPG Ranch, Sapphire Range, MT: Collaborative reforestation and revegetation actions to restore Montana native vegetation species, including seedling propagation, revegetation research, and outplanting assistance.
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Fort Peck Lake, MT: Fuels inventory, fire behavior simulation, and silvicultural prescription development to protect forests and homes within The Pines Recreation Area.
- Palo Alto Battlefield National Historic Park, Brownsville, TX: Developmet of NEPA and vegetation planning documents to support strategiec Gulf Coastal plain vegetation management and restoration practices, in order to recreate 19th century battlefield conditions.
- Whiskeytown National Recreation Area, Whiskeytown, CA: Condition assessment and restoration prescription development (silvicultural and prescribed fire treatments) for old-growth and second-growth ponderosa pine / mixed conifer forests in the southern Klamath Mountains.
- Sempervirens Fund, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA: Forest diagnostics and silvicultural prescription recommendations for promotion of old-forest features in regrowth redwood forests.
- USAID, Beirut, Lebanon: Evaluation of site degradation and seedling outplanting recommendations and personnel training for the Lebanon Reforestation Initiative.
In our technical assistance efforts we work closely with agency personnel and land managers on the ground in an effort to engender local vegetation management expertise and self-reliance. Contact us and find out how we can assist you.