Spring 2018 Advising Schedule for W.A. Franke College of Forestry and Conservation Students

All students except seniors that have filed graduation paperwork must attend an advising session to obtain an advising number for registration for spring 2018 courses.  Registration begins on October 30th.  Please be sure to (1) attend the appropriate session for your major, and (2) bring a current transcript to the advising session.  

If you fail to attend an evening advising session, your advisor may not be available to meet with you and you may not be able to register on time.  If you have a conflict due to work, class, or family, please document that conflict and get in touch with your academic advisor or Program Director to make other arrangements as soon as possible.  Students with families are welcome to bring their children.  

Seniors who have completed graduation paperwork do NOT need to attend an advising session; they can obtain their advising numbers from a staff member in Forestry room 103.  Seniors who have not completed graduation paperwork or who are graduating after spring 2018 must attend an advising session.  

Additional information will be distributed via your University of Montana email account.  Please be sure to check your email for important details.  

Spring 2018 Course Registration Timetable

Ecosystem Science and Restoration Majors

Tuesday, October 17th - Terrestrial Option; SH 107; 5:00
Thursday, October 19th - Aquatic Option; SH 107; 5:00

*PLEASE FILL OUT THE DOODLE POLL TO LET US KNOW THAT YOU WILL BE ATTENDING:  If you can’t make the appropriate evening please come to the alternate night.
*Please bring your academic plan; if you have not yet started an academic plan, please contact  (Seniors who have not completed graduation paperwork need not attend, but should see Lisa or Shonna to fill out graduation paperwork)

Forestry Majors

Tuesday, October 17th - Juniors and Seniors: FOR 206; 5:00
Wednesday, October 18th - Sophomores FOR 206; 5:00
Thursday, October 19th - Freshmen FOR 206; 5:00

Parks, Tourism, and Recreation Management Majors

Tuesday, October 17th - Juniors and Seniors; SH 106; 5:00
Wednesday, October 18th - Sophomores; SH 106; 5:00
Thursday, October 19th - Freshmen; SH106; 5:00

Resource Conservation Majors

Tuesday, October 17th - Juniors and Seniors; FOR 106; 5:00
Wednesday, October 18th - Sophomores; FOR 106; 5:00
Thursday, October 19th -Freshmen; FOR 106; 5:00

Wildlife Biology Majors

Tuesday, October 17th – Juniors and Seniors: FOR 305; 5:00
Wednesday, October 18th – Freshmen and Sophomores : FOR 305; 5:00

Freshmen who are enrolled in WBIO 170 will be advised in class or by appointment with Lisa Mills in Forestry 103C.

Who is my faculty advisor?

Find out who your advisor is: Go to Cyberbear and use your Net ID and password to log in. In the Navigation menu located in the upper left-hand side of the screen, under Academic Summary, select Profile. On your profile page select the Advisors link.  Your primary advisor is your faculty advisor with whom you should meet.

If Academic Planner does not have an advisor listed for you, please stop by the FCFC Student Services Office in Forestry 103.

You may contact your advisor directly. Contact information is available in the FCFC Directory for faculty or contact your department office for assistance. 

Most faculty advisors have scheduled office hours for meeting with students but can also schedule separate appointments if needed. 

Why do I need an advisor?

Academic advisors have information on policies, deadlines, general education requirements and more. You will be assigned a permanent academic advisor soon after the beginning of fall or spring semester depending on when you begin your studies here at UM. Advisors are also your primary source of career information and can serve as references for jobs. You should talk to them about your career choices and interests in your field.

Group Advising

All of our undergraduate degree programs have group advising sessions each semester for students to be advised quickly.  Students should come prepared to these sessions with their unofficial transcripts and a proposed schedule for the upcoming semester. Unofficial transcripts can be obtained on CyberBear or in the FCFC Student Services Office.

Advising Numbers

Advising numbers are only available to students who have seen their advisor. These numbers change every semester. Post-bac (students who already possess a bachelor’s degree) and graduate students do not need advising numbers to register for classes.

Who to contact for advising help

Shonna Trowbridge for general advising questions and all majors except WBIO: 406-243-4844; in Forestry Bldg. Rm. 103B

Melanie Sourbeer for all Wildlife Biology advising: 406-243-5272 
in Forestry Bldg. Rm. 103C

Jennifer Harrington for Native American student advising and mentoring: 406-243-5561 
in Forestry Bldg. Rm. 101

Useful Links