Accessible Navigation. Go to: Navigation Main Content Footer

M.S. Wildlife Biology

Application Information

Application information can be found at the Graduate Student Admissions. However, if you have any questions or if we can help you at all, do not hesitate to contact our office for information (406) 243 5292 or by email at

Graduate Student Admissions
Checklist for Application
Advice to Applicants 

Additional Information for International Prospective Students:
Applying for International Admission to the UM Graduate School
Foreign Student & Scholar Services
International Student Association (ISA) of The University of Montana
Residence Life Office - International Students


The only required course for all Masters students is WBIO 594 “Graduate Seminar in Wildlife Biology.” Other courses are to be determined by the student, his/her faculty advisor, and graduate committee. The program limits course requirements to allow students to maximize the relevance of their degree coursework to their personal research interests.

Thesis Option:
- 30 Credits
- Thesis and Defense

Non-Thesis Option: (This non-thesis degree program is available to established professional resource administrators and supervisors who wish to update their professional qualifications and to students in the Peace Corps program.)
- 36 credits
- Professional Paper and Defense

WBIO Graduate Courses
Recent Theses/Dissertations in Wildlife Biology

Financial Assistance

Teaching Assistantships: The Wildlife Biology Program has a number of teaching assistantships available each year. Graduate students in these positions assist faculty with course instruction through leading labs or discussion sections, delivering lectures and grading assignments. Teaching assistants are selected according to their background in courses for which teaching assistants are needed on a semester or yearly basis. Full-time teaching assistants work approximately 15 hours per week for 15 weeks each semester of the academic year. In addition to their salaries, teaching assistants receive a tuition fee waiver (in-state or out-of-state) and a waiver of the registration fee. Other fees charged by the University are not included in the TA fee waiver package. Both incoming and current graduate students are considered for teaching assistantships. Teaching assistants are required to register for 6 credits each semester.

Research Assistantships: Research assistantships are made available to graduate students by faculty members who have received grants from outside sources (for example, Forest Service, Park Service, Fish and Wildlife Service, National Science Foundation, other public and private organizations). The number of research assistantships offered varies by year depending on available funds. Research assistants are assigned duties by the faculty member with funding; these duties are often the student's own research project. Research assistantships have financial benefits generally similar to those of teaching assistantships. Research assistants are required to register for 6 credits each semester.

Other financial Assistance


Graduate Student Policies
WBIO Graduate Regulations
Meet our Current Grad Students
See what some of our Grad Students are doing