Advising for Forestry Majors
You have two primary advising resources:
- Shonna Trowbridge is your academic advisor and can assist with degree planning and class scheduling/sequencing
- Your faculty advisor is a resource for information and advice on degree options, elective courses, job opportunities, internships, and career interests, and more
The College awards more than 75 student scholarships each year. Many of the scholarships for Forestry majors consider criteria beyond academic merit (e.g., extracurricular activities, work experience, career plans), and oftentimes we receive fewer applicants than we have scholarships.
Get yourself registered with Handshake and check out the federal jobs available for summer 2020.
There are many opportunities to travel abroad for international exchange programs or to take field courses – and you can apply for financial support through the Franke Fellowships program.
You and your peers run the Forestry Club, the Student Chapter of the Society of American Foresters, the Fire Club, the Woodsmen’s Team, the Foresters’ Ball Committee, and other student organizations – check them out.
These programs include PETSA, AlcoholEdu, Freshman Bystander, and Haven Plus. Not completing the online programs can result in a registration hold. You can check for holds in CyberBear on your student profile page (top right hand side).
Forestry Curriculum & CFC Course Updates
Course scheduling/substitution news for Spring 2020
- FORS241 “Dendrology” will not be offered in spring (offered again in Fall 2020)
- PTRM141Y “National Parks” will be offered in the spring
- WILD291 “Rewilding Animal Populations” (2 cr; no prereq) – offered this spring
- Northern Rockies Outdoor Leadership Certificate is launching this spring
Spring Registration Planning
- Get to your Student Profile page in CyberBear
- Check for holds in the top-right corner
- Click the left-panel link for “Registration”, select Spring 2020, and then click the link for “Plan Ahead”
Other key links:
- Open the General Education page to review requirements and options
- Interested in a minor? Use the “What if?” feature in DegreeWorks
- Check the registration schedule for your first opportunity to enroll
- Graduating in the spring? Don’t forget to submit your graduation paperwork to Shonna Trowbridge by Oct 25!
- If you have a plan in Academic Planner, open that too (but Academic Planner is going away)