Commonly Asked Questions and Answers

No. We offer the courses through UM’s Continuing Education Department. That allows you, the student, to take the course and receive UM academic credit (when you pay the academic recording fee) without applying to UM. To enroll you just need to register for a class to be in the program.
You must have an undergraduate degree.

No, WMDEP is a self-support program, so financial aid does not apply unless you are already an enrolled student at UM. 

If you are a UM student: 

WMDEP courses are run through Extended Learning at UM, students must complete the attached “SELL Agreement with Financial Aid” form, have your program chair or dean sign, then submit to the Financial Aid Office. This form helps Financial Aid factor in the cost of the WMDEP course & alerts them you are taking a mix of regular & Extended courses during a semester to achieve full time credit load. April Wilbur, 406.243.5379 or, processes these forms and can answer any additional financial aid questions.

You may use the AmeriCorps Award for the tuition, books, and the recording fee.

If you are taking the courses for graduate credit you can take the first 3 course in any order but NRSM 563 must be the final course.

You should commit to spending at least 8 to 12 hours per week for each course.

We recommend taking no more than 2 courses at one time. If you are working full-time then we recommend taking only ONE course at a time.
For our program, we consider one course half-time.

A course withdrawal request must be made in writing to the WMDEP/College of Forestry and Conservation and must be postmarked within 30 calendar days of the registration date (the date you paid) in order to receive a refund of tuition. 

A tuition refund (less $50 withdrawal fee) will then be processed. No refunds will be given for textbooks. If you registered for academic credit, the course will not appear on your transcript. You may not withdraw from the course after 30 calendar days of the registration date.
Yes. Once you register and pay for the course(s), we provide you with a proof-of-enrollment letter.

The GI Bill may NOT be used for WMDEP courses. The VA is very particular and requires course tuition and fees be processed through the student’s Cyberbear account (which doesn’t happen with WMDEP courses).

The only veteran funding that sometimes works is VA Vocational Rehabilitation funds, as those offices will usually pay any invoice for training/coursework/etc.